Have you been injured?

If you are injured at work, in a motor vehicle accident, on the street, or in an assault you may be entitled to compensation for those injuries.

The main areas we deal with at are:

• Motor vehicle accidents

• Personal Injury

• Public Liability

• Work Accidents

• Criminal injuries compensation (NSW only)

In the ACT claims for compensation can be dealt with in either the Supreme Court or the Magistrates Court. The Supreme Court deals with cases that are worth more than $50 000.00 and the Magistrates Court deals with cases that are worth less than $50, 000.00.

How much will I get?

The amount you get is made up of the following:

• General damages for pain and discomfort and loss of enjoyment of life.

• Medical expenses and out of pocket expenses.

• Loss of wages up to the date of the hearing or settlement resulting from the accident.

• Future loss of wages which are expected to be incurred.

• A claim for personal care and nursing provided by a friend or relative. This has to be very carefully documented and so we suggest that you keep a diary and enter the details of what was done for you immediately.

We can advise you on what you might expect to receive when you come in and see us.


What do we do for you?

There are a number of things that must be done behind the scenes to make sure that your claim is prepared properly and well presented. We will investigate the accident, start court proceedings and get medical reports from your doctors about your treatment, condition and disabilities. We will also get details of your wages and any workers’ compensation payments from your employer. We will advise you of the amount of compensation you are likely to get. We also negotiate with insurance company solicitors. We will explain what is happening at each stage of your case. Finally, we will fight for you in court.

How long does it take?

Some compensation cases are settled within a few months. This is rare, however. Most take longer, particularly if the injuries take some time to stabilise.

In the ACT legal proceedings must generally be commenced within three years from the date of the accident. Notice of an intended action must be given within three months of a motor vehicle accident where the vehicle fault cannot be identified or was not registered and insured.

Related Articles